zondag 17 oktober 2010

This Mum Is Backing Away

It appears some parents are upset with Miley Cyrus’ new video for “Who Owns My Heart?” because it is too damn sexy.
I’m amazed to find myself on the other side of this debate.
I regularly put hand-me-downs with words across the butt straight into the Goodwill pile. I won’t let my six-year-old daughter wear anything approaching a high heel, and it is only under extreme Nutcracker duress that I allow her stage make-up, which is immediately washed off. I worry her shorts are too short, her swimming suits too droopy. I won’t allow Bratz or any toys of that nature in our house. She can’t watch Hannah Montana or High School Musical. I want her to stay a little girl for as long as possible.
My daughter is six. She’s still a child. She hasn’t yet learned all the lessons I have to teach about being a female in society, womanhood, sexuality, values, decisions and consequences. I hope when she reaches 17, she’ll make good choices about revealing her sexuality, but if she doesn’t by the time she’s 17, there’s not going to be much more I can do about it. I have to teach those lessons now.
Miley Cyrus will be 18 next month, making her a woman for me to look sideways at instead of a child for me to look down to, worry over or protect. Do I think her parents did a good job teaching her about women’s sexuality? Not really. But all this talk of containing the current Miley Cyrus sexy is rubbing me wrong.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten